Grubbers Comment: Chances of Ivan Henjack going the year with a perfect record? 50/1
2. Wests Tigers – Subdued start, but came out of their shell and produced a vintage Tigers performance. Fired on all cylinders and have sent warning shot to opponents in the weeks ahead.
Grubbers Comment: Odds that Tuiaki could take the ‘most feared man’ award from Vatuvei this year? 10/1
3. Gold Coast Titans – Massive effort considering Prince was missing. Preston Campbell stepped up and Mat Rogers finding form too. Well coached and remain good at home.
Grubbers Comment: Chances that Scott Prince was using ESP to control his side from the stands? 15/1
4. Melbourne Storm – Warming to the season, still only in 2nd gear – but are doing it fine. Tough away opponent in Cowboys and they dealt with them well.
Grubbers Comment: Amount of years the beard and hair add to Greg Inglis’ age? 10+
5. South Sydney – Found the answer to attacking problems; Craig Wing. Extra weapon is just what they needed. Have the ingredients there, just need to bake the right cake this year and they’ll be in the finals.
Grubbers Comment: Odds of Craig Wing naming his first son ‘Chicken’? 25/1
6. Dragons – Again gritty and committed, getting better with each week. Soward being hidden well in defence. Wendell Sailor is getting better too, fitness and position wise.
Grubbers Comment: Odds that Kograh locals filed 100’s of noise complaints after the bizzare ‘kazoo’ world record attempt at Jubilee? 10/1
7. Cowboys – Hard to tell with these guys, had some flashy moments and tested the Storm but their defence needs some work. May need time to gel under Neil Henry. May have been flattered by the Tigers the week before, errors made them look better than they were.
Grubbers Comment: Odds the Cowboys removed the air-conditioning from opposition dressing sheds to increase heat factor in Townsville? 3/1
8. Parramatta Eels – Played like mugs for 65 minutes, but pulled on the superman cape afterwards. When they clicked, looked dangerous on most plays. Motivation remains the key to their chances this year.
Grubbers Comment: Chances of Daniel Anderson calling in Denis Fitzgerald for half-time motivation speeches? 150/1
9. Penrith Panthers – While they may have won ugly, a win at Brookvale can never be underestimated. Were probably unlucky in terms of referee decision too, with Wade Graham int he side – remain a chance.
Grubbers Comment: Odds of Matt Elliott ever leaving Wade Graham out of the side again? 200/1
10. Canberra Raiders – Deserved the win, their willingness to chance their arm remains their best weapon. Have a good bag of trick plays such as the scrum split, lack overall experience to be a consistent force – but will trouble some sides on their day.
Grubbers Comment: Odds the Raiders had secret ‘Gridiron’ training sessions, after their unique split-scrum play? 10/1
11. Bulldogs – Another close one, this time they couldn’t pull off a miracle. Jury still out on these guys, but Kimmorley and Morris again looked good.
Grubbers Comment: Odds that the Idris vs Barba fight at Wenty Leagues after the win over Penrith was the biggest ever boxing mis-match? 2/1
12. NZ Warriors – Shell shocked after 15 minutes, the loss not only brings them to earth but reality of losing Tate sets in. Shows the Storm and Broncos are a class above the next ranked sides.
Grubbers Comment: Odds of Ivan Cleary trying to invent a time machine to go back 1 week, getting Tate back and erasing the loss? 5/1
13. Sydney Roosters – Another game they will want to quickly forget. Lack focus and really aren’t playing as a team. In saying that, have a good array of talent – just need direction. Whether thats from Freddy or Braith, it’s hard to tell.
Grubbers Comment: Chances that Willie Mason, Craig Fitzgibbon and Minichiello can’t find their lockers next time they return to training? 20/1
14. Newcastle Knights – Good showing early, but halves again a problem with Mullen out of action. Had plenty of possession but couldn’t score, in the end fitness got them. Could be a long year.
Grubbers Comment: Chances Kurt Gidley will play every single position for his side next week? 5/1
15. Cronulla Sharks – Can’t take a trick, toiled well even after losing Barrett. But these guys just don’t know how to score points. Can’t keep carrying Luke Covell as a ‘kicker only’ player. Need speed and tryscorers, fast!
Grubbers Comment: Odds that the Sharks will be fined for overloading local Hospitals with their injured players? 10/1
16. Manly Sea Eagles – Not only is the Brett Stewart saga sidetracking the players, missing links Menzies, Bell, Williams, Bryant, Stewart and now Lyon is rendering this side a shadow of it’s former self. No cohesion to be seen.
Grubbers Comment: Odds that Manly’s new major sponsor might ask for a refund in the next few weeks? 25/1