Israel Folau hurt by ARL’s treatment of him after move to AFL

Former Storm and Bronco player Israel Folau is displeased and hurt at the treatment he has suffered at the hands of the ARL in light of his move to the Greater Western Sydney AFL team.

Shockingly, his family’s first reaction to the whole saga was that they vowed the young star would never play the game of Rugby League again.

After the ARL’s latest stunt, Folau felt that he was obligated to break his silence on the matter after the ARL banned him from being a waterboy for Tonga.

Folau also admits that this whole saga has tarnished his initial exit from the game of Rugby League.

Folau also said that his parents had been left very unhappy and stressed by the way in which their son had been treated by the ARL.

“I get sad and frustrated when they treat you like this, especially when I’ve tried to give the game a lot over the past few years,” Folau said.

“It’s a bit of everything for me, it’s mixed emotions. Dad gets angry sometimes. I don’t know how to describe what they are trying to do.”

The initial stance was started by ARL and NSWRL chief Geoff Carr, but the power-brokers of the NRL have since caught on and defended the initial decision made by Carr.

Amazingly, the ARL blocked any possible selection in the Australian team for Folau in May, failed in somewhat of a public bid to have him banned from representing his state in Origins 2 and 3, banning him from even making the initial squad for Australia, and restricting him from being water-boy for Tonga.

In what some regard as a low act, Folau was excluded from the annual grand final day tribute to departing players, with the guise being that Folau’s contribution to the sport didn’t deserve a mention at the tribute.

“I was surprised about the water boy stuff,” Folau said.

“Fair enough about not playing, but I just wanted to help out the Tongan team. But they denied me that, too.

“The grand final stuff hurt a little bit more than being omitted from the team. You see blokes like [club player] Jesse Royal, and no disrespect to him, but I was a little sad not to get a mention.

“That’s the way they decided to go about things and I can’t do anything about it.”

Rugby league’s stance could have far greater repercussions than the estimated $2.4 million worth of free advertising it has already given its rival code – losing 21-year-old Folau for life.

“My family take it a lot harder than I do,” he said.

“I just hope if I’m looking at coming back and they [ARL] are going on like this, [that it isn’t still an issue].”

If he isn’t turned away at the gates, then Folau has every intention of attending the game on Sunday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *