Despite growing speculation that Roosters favourite Braith Anasta was headed to the Cowboys, Anasta’s manager has put an end to that speculation by confirming that his client will remain at the Roosters.
Ever since the Roosters grand final appearance, speculation was rife that Anasta would be forced out, with the Cowboys a target, after rumours arose that Anasta had a qualm with Roosters coach Brian Smith about playing lock.
The rumours gained momentum, when Cowboys halfback Jonathon Thurston urged the clubs board to ‘throw the chequebook’ at Anasta in their chase for a front-line five-eighth to partner JT.
The quest has since been put to an end however, since the Cowboys have confirmed that Ray Thompson and Michael Morgan will be their two halves of the future, and that they’ll ease them into first-grade.
On Tuesday, it was confirmed that Cowboys CEO Peter Jourdain asked the Roosters for formal permission to begin talks with Anasta, who has a year remaining on his contract with the Roosters.
Greg Willett, Anasta’s manager is also believed to have approached the Cowboys, with the view of the club buying out the remaining year of Anasta’s contract.
“There is nothing to say about it unless the Roosters give us permission,” Parr told AAP.
And Willett said there had been no progress in talks with the Cowboys since the end of the season.
“This is all old news,” Willett told AAP.
“All I could say is that yes there was some interest (near the end of the NRL season), but there’s nothing really gone more than that.
“(North Queensland) did want to know if he would go there but this was two months ago and it’s never really gone on from there.”
Willett said the deal would only eventuate if the Cowboys presented the Roosters an offer they couldn’t refuse.
“If anyone wants to give me a million dollars, I’ll wrap him up in cotton wool and drive him there myself because that’s my job,” Willett said.
“If someone says they’re interested (in Anasta), you’re always going to be interested in an offer.
“That’s your job. But there have been no offers or anything like that.”