The NRL has today advised that it will continue to monitor ongoing developments in the NSW Police Casino and Investigation Unit inquires into betting patterns involving an NRL match late last year.
The NRL and Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs both yesterday issued statements after Police arrested and later charged a 29 year-old man.
The Police have stressed that the charges do not relate to conduct in or around the game but to the provision of information to a Commission hearing.
The NRL referred concerns over betting in relation to a match between the Cowboys and the Bulldogs to the Police last year after having conducting its own investigations with the assistance of Ray Murrihy.
â€œWe have always believed, following our initial inquiries, that the Police were the appropriate people to further investigate concerns and we appreciate the resources they have invested into doing so,â€ NRL Chief Executive Mr David Gallop said.
â€œIt remains a Police matter and any comment on the investigations as they continue should be through the Police until we are advised otherwise.â€
Yesterday’s Police Statement is as follows:
â€œCasino and Racing Investigation Unit detectives have arrested a man after he allegedly provided false evidence to a law enforcement agency during the course of an investigation.
â€œAbout 11.15am a 29-year-old man was arrested by Police in Sydneyâ€™s CBD, before being taken to City Central Police Station. Charges are expected to be laid.
â€œTodayâ€™s arrest follows three search warrants executed by Police yesterday (Tuesday 1 February), at a unit in Bronte, a home in Strathfield, and a home at Punchbowl, where Police located and seized relevant documentation and mobile phones.
â€œInvestigations by Strike Force Suburb detectives are continuing. The Strike Force, under the State Crime Commandâ€™s Casino and Racing Investigation Unit, was established in 2010 to investigate alleged illegal betting activity surrounding the Round 24 NRL match between the Bulldogs and the Cowboys. These investigations are ongoing.
â€œFirearms and Organised Crime Squad Commander, Detective Superintendent Arthur Katsogiannis said, â€œPolice are treating this investigation seriously, itâ€™s not a game this is real life, and Police will continue with their investigations in an endeavour to uncover the truth and ensure justice is done.
â€œDetectives will continue to use every available resource in uncover the truth and complete their investigation.
â€œAs such, Police work jointly with other law enforcement agencies to ensure that investigations are conducted thoroughly.
â€œIn order for investigations to proceed, it is important for anyone with information to cooperate with Police.
â€œIf anyone has been involved with, or has information about criminal activity regarding betting allegations, we urge them to come forward and assist Police while they still have the opportunity,â€ Det Supt Katsogiannis said.
Anyone with information that could assist with the investigation is urged to contact detectives via Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.