Melbourne and Manly play out entertaining 10-all draw

Anthony Watmough

Most NRL games end up with a team winning – very rarely does an NRL game end up as a draw even after golden point, but last night's NRL clash at AAMI Park between the Melbourne Storm and the Manly Sea Eagles produced that very result.

It looked like Manly were going to win at one stage as they lead 8-0 at the break, but the Storm, desperate to avoid three losses in a row dug deep and got the score back to 8-all.

The two teams then traded penalty goals, with Melbourne kicking a penalty goal right before the full-time siren to take the game into extra time.

There were field goal attempts galore in the extra time period, yet no team could break the deadlock, as just over 13,000 fans were treated to an entertaining draw.

With Manly's defence lauded by many, Manly coach Geoff Toovey was pleased with how his side defended but was not pleased by the penalties given against his side.

“They had to, they had to,” said Toovey.

“I'm very proud of their effort and they gutted it out against all odds.”

Manly were disappointed that the penalty count finished again, feeling that the refs were not listening to them.

“We didn't get many ca

lls and it's just disappointing the result, you know?,” said Manly captain Jamie Lyon.

“We were doing too much tackling and I suppose in the end, it probably cost us.”

For the Storm, possession wise in the second half, they were on top and coach Craig Bellamy knows that – though despite some solid execution, they couldn't crack the Manly defence on more than one occasion.

“We had enough ball obviously to win a couple of games but having said that, Manly defended outstanding,” said Bellamy.

“With three to four minutes to go, you'd probably say that we stole a point but having said that, we had a chance there, too with a field goal.

There was a rather unusual moment in the game at the end of the first period of extra time, when Melbourne captain Cam Smith took the optional kick for touch and found touch, with Melbourne then packing the scrum seconds before the half-time siren of extra time went off, as the referee called time off before the siren sounded yet they were not given a chance to execute the scrum, even when they had it packed.

“I didn't get an explanation for it,” said Melbourne captain Cam Smith.

“I think the reason may have been that we didn't have a half at the scrum – I heard the Manly players calling that out.”

3. Anthony Watmough
2. Jamie Lyon
1. Cam Smith