The saga is over as Milford signs with the Broncos for 2015 and beyond

Anthony Milford

It was a long, drawn-out saga and one that could have ended some time ago but it is finally finished, with the Canberra Raiders confirming that Anthony Milford will see out his contract and remain with the club until the end of 2014.

The Raiders statement reads:

The Canberra Raiders are pleased to confirm that Anthony Milford will be returning to Canberra for pre-season training and will play for the club in 2014.

Milford is currently on vacation in Samoa after his World Cup duties concluded and is unavailable for comment. He will return to pre-season training with the Raiders on Monday the 16th of December.

The 19 year old has acknowledged that the Raiders have been an important part of his life since he was first placed on a scholarship with the club at 13 years of age and as such is pleased to honour the final year of his contract with the club he debuted for in 2013.

Raiders CEO Don Furner said that “We acknowledge that Anthony has battled home sickness and is very close to his family however we are pleased that he will be playing for our club in 2014.”

In a twist, however, the Brisbane Broncos have today confirmed that from 2015, Milford will be a Bronco, having signed a 2-year deal.

Still only 19, Milford put the NRL world on notice last year with some blistering form, form he carried over to the Samoan national side at the recent Rugby League World Cup.

With the Broncos after him for quite some time, they finally got their man, with the club well aware of his ability and looking forward to seeing him on board at the Broncos in 2015.

“Anthony is a wonderful young talent who we have known about for several years as he grew up in the Logan area,” said Griffin.

“He will be a great addition to our squad when he comes on board for the 2015 and 2016 seasons.

Milford, who has so far played in 18 NRL games, represented QLD at the U20’s level and played for Samoa – as previously mentioned – is excited to head to Brisbane in 2014.

“Anthony has obviously made it clear he had a desire to return to Brisbane, and it is good that the club and his management have been able to come to an agreement that will allow him to do that.

“We look forward to him becoming part of the Broncos club.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *