These tough QLD rivals relish the chance to play against each other and things are fiery.
Who has the rub of the green historically speaking, though, and can the trend continue?
North Queensland Cowboys v Gold Coast Titans
The North Queensland Cowboys and Gold Coast Titans have played each other on 21 occasions; the Cowboys have won 12 games, the Titans have won eight games and there have been two draws.
The Cowboys have won five straight games against the Titans. The last time the Titans defeated the Cowboys was in round 4, 2014.
The Titans have won just three times in ten games played in Townsville (30%).
The first game between the two sides was in round 8, 2007, a game that the Cowboys won 24-10.
The North Queensland Cowboys biggest win against the Gold Coast Titans was in round 26, 2015, when they trounced them 42-12.
The Gold Coast Titans biggest win against the North Queensland Cowboys was in round 23, 2010, with an easy 37-18 win.
Players to have played for both sides
- Matt Petersen (NQL: 2002 & GLD: 2007-2008).
- Scott Prince (NQL: 1998-2000 & GLD: 2007-2012).
- Clint Amos (NQL: 2006, 2009-11 & GLD: 2007-2008).
- Brenton Bowen (NQL: 2003-2007 & GLD: 2008).
- Gavin Cooper (NQL: 2006, 2011-2018 & GLD: 2007-2008).
- Kalifa Fai Fai Loa (NQL: 2011-2013 & GLD: 2014-2015)
Players who have scored three or more tries in one game in this clash
- Jordan Atkins scored four tries in round 1, 2008.
- Willie Tonga scored three tries in round 4, 2010.
Head-to-head coaching records in this clash
Paul Green (NQL) v Gold Coast Titans (5 wins & 1 loss at 83.3%).
John Cartwright (GLD) v North Queensland Cowboys (8 wins & 7 losses at 53.3%).
Neil Henry (NQL) v Gold Coast Titans (5 wins & 5 losses at 50%).
Graham Murray (NQL) v Gold Coast Titans (1 win & 1 loss at 50%).
Ian Millward (NQL) v Gold Coast Titans (0 wins & 1 loss at 0%).
Neil Henry (GLD) v North Queensland Cowboys (0 wins & 4 losses at 0%).
Most prolific point-scorers in this clash
- Johnathan Thurston (NQL) – 8 tries & 49 goals (130 pts)
- Scott Prince (GLD) – 1 try, 31 goals & 1 field goal (67 pts)
- Gavin Cooper (NQL) – 7 tries (28 pts)
- Willie Tonga (NQL) – 6 tries (24 pts)
- Matthew Bowen (NQL) – 4 tries & 4 goals (24 pts)
- Kyle Feldt (NQL) – 3 tries & 5 goals (22 pts)
- Mat Rogers (GLD) – 3 tries & 4 goals (20 pts)
- Steve Michaels (GLD) – 5 tries (20 pts)
- John Williams (NQL) – 2 tries & 5 goals (18 pts)
- Jordan Atkins (GLD) – 4 tries (16 pts)
- William Zillman (GLD) – 4 tries (16 pts)
- Mark Minichiello (GLD) – 4 tries (16 pts)
- Aidan Sezer (GLD) – 7 goals & 2 field goals (16 pts)
- Anthony Laffranchi (GLD) – 3 tries (12 pts)
- Nathan Friend (GLD) – 3 tries (12 pts)
- Ty Williams (NQL) – 3 tries (12 pts)
- Esikeli Tonga (GLD) – 3 tries (12 pts)
- Ashley Graham (NQL) – 3 tries (12 pts)
Disclaimer: The above seventeen players are those that accrued the most points in clashes between these two sides in their history.
Also note that players with an asterisk after their points tally played prior to 1983 when tries were 3 points and/or when field goals were two points.
If there are any more details or stats you wish to see, just let us know and we can add them.
We are always thinking and working on new stats to include in our breakdown but always welcome suggestions.