joel-monaghan-raiders-comeback-souths.jpgIn an amazing turnaround, the Raiders fought back from a half time 13 point deficit to bring the South Sydney Rabbitohs back to reality and cement their place in the top 8.

Trailing 19-6 at halftime the Raiders put on 6 tries in the second half turning the game around remarkably while they continue pushing towards what they hope to be a top 4 finish.

The win today moves Canberra up to 28 competition points, which is only one place behind Brisbane and only two place behind the Sydney Roosters.  The Raiders’ run home sees them up against the bottom two teams in the competition being North Queensland and the Bulldogs which only strengthens their hopes of a top 4 finish.

The win wasn’t, however, without injuries with halfback Marc Herbert suffering medial ligament damage and prop Troy Thompson with an achilles problem both of which could potentially end their season.

Tries were awarded to Joe Picker, Colin Best, Brett Kelly, David Milne and Joel Monaghan while winger Adrian Purtell ran over a double.

In what could only be seen as a gift, Canberra were the first to score in the 11th minute when a pass from Nathan Merritt was intercepted only 10 metres from Souths tryline.  Chris Sandow didn’t waste any time getting the Bunnies on the board responding five minutes later with a try of his own right under the posts.

Issac Luke and Beau Champion struck again for the Bunnies shortly after with Sandow nailing a perfectly struck field goal from 40 metres right on halftime which extended their margin to what seemed a handy 13 point lead.

But the Canberra side that returned for second half, came out a different team wasting no time in scoring their next try just 2 minutes into the second half when a kick from Terry Campese rebounded off Fa’alogo and straight into the safe hands of Picker.

Next over the line was Best with the try of the match.  Best put in a superb solo effort from halfway as he ran straight through the attempted tackles of both Jamie Simpson and Beau Champion.

With only 23 minutes remaining, the Raiders took back the lead when Purtell went over for his second set up nicely by Campese.

Another intercept try for Kelly just seconds later while Milne and Monaghan scored with runaway efforts sealing the match for the Raiders.

The damage was already done by the time Luke Capewell ran in a consolation try for the Bunnies.  What they thought was a handy first half lead ended in a 40-25 defeat.

By ricky

One thought on “Raiders remarkable comeback”

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.