Sydney Roosters centre Latrell Mitchell

Roosters vs Storm. The grand final rematch in the grand final qualifier. Minor premiers vs defending premiers.

One team will go on to the big dance and one will go home. The Storm got the better of the Roosters in their most recent meeting but this time, it’s at the SCG, the Roosters stomping ground.

Jared Waerea-Hargreaves suspended and Suliasi Vunivalu injured. Kenny Bromwich plays his 150th NRL game and Cooper Cronk playing for his career.


The game started in unique fashion as Nelson Asofa-Solomona and Sio Siua Taukeiaho were both sin binned for slapping each other after the first tackle!

From this, Latrell Mitchell would open the scoring with a penalty goal for a 2-0 lead after 1 minute.

Both teams would have attacking opportunities but the Roosters would get the first try after 15 minutes.

Daniel Tupou caught a high bomb above his head in the in-goal area.

Three Storm players almost held him up for the handover but Tupou got the offload out the back for Cordner to score.

Sydney Roosters winger Daniel Tupou

Latrell Mitchell sliced the kick so the score remained 6-0 after 15 minutes.

Both teams would keep having attacking opportunities but no one would crack.

With 5 minutes left in the half, Jahrome Hughes would be caught offside so Mitchell would kick the penalty goal.

The Roosters lead 8-0 with 5 minutes left until half time. The Roosters would hold on to this lead until the half.

Sydney Roosters back-rower Boyd Cordner



Early in the second half, Zane Tetevano was put on report for a dangerous tackle on Ryan Papenhuyzen.

10 minutes later, Storm would finally crack the defence.

After a lot of great field position, an under ball to Nelson Asofa-Solomona would see the mammoth of a man reach out to give Melbourne their first points.

Cameron Smith converted for the 8-6 scoreline.

Melbourne Storm back-rower Kenny Bromwich

With 25 minutes left, Mitch Aubusson would go down with a nasty head clash with Kenny Bromwich’s hip. He failed the HIA.

15 minutes later, James Tedesco would go over on the right side to get the Roosters a 6 point lead.

Mitchell converted for the 14-6 score but in the try, Bromwich accidentally headbutted Ryan Papenhuyzen in the chin.

He would go off with his jaw bleeding. Roosters held on to win it.

Melbourne Storm fullback Ryan Papenhuyzen


ROOSTERS 14 – 6 Storm

The Melbourne Storm’s 2019 season is over with that win and for the first time in 4 years, the minor premiers are not in the grand final.

The Sydney Roosters will head to ANZ stadium next week to play against the Canberra Raiders.

Will the Green Machine break their 25-year drought or will the Chooks be the first team to go back-to-back since the 1992 and 1993 Broncos?

We will find out in 8 days.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.